Brewery Review: Milwaukee Brewing Company

Visiting Milwaukee can be a fun experience. Sporting events, festivals, food and most importantly beer play a huge role in what makes Milwaukee and Wisconsin great!  When I visit the third ward in Milwaukee I typically meet up with friends at the Milwaukee Ale House.  Located on the river, there is no better place to grab some food and a pint of delicious Milwaukee made beer. Start your night here and explore the city or hang out and enjoy live music on the weekends or scenic view out back. Now I know what you are thinking.... this is a review of Milwaukee Brewing Company... not a restaurant review of the Milwaukee Ale House.  But alas young one, they are indeed one in the same. What started off a brewpub has blossomed into a full blown brewery making beers such as Polish Moon, O-Gii, and Louie's Demise.

Situated on 2nd street, they have officially outgrown their current location and will be opening shop at a new location in downtown Milwaukee area.  The old space will house a smaller brew system for sours and experimentals while the new house will have a tap room, production brewery and what I can only imagine as the continuation of fun filled tours.  And if you haven't taken a tour, you really should. Personally I feel it is one of the two best tours we have in Milwaukee, the other being at Lakefront Brewery.

Social media can sometimes be a wonderful thing. I was able to connect with some of the brewers at Milwaukee Brewing Co via social media and that has opened up opportunities for a blossoming friendship.  Most recently another Instagram beer fan (CraftbeerMik) visited Milwaukee and we made a pitstop at MKE Brewing to check out the scene. Kurt Mayes was our host as we got to meet the other brewers, chat about what is in the works and try some awesome brews. More about those beers later!

The Brewery / Taproom

The brewery space is pretty packed so it feels pretty small in there.  I recalled that the bar area where you can get beers was a lot larger a few years back. The bar has gotten smaller due to some new tanks being added for additional capacity.  From what I recall, they don't really have a taproom so the bar is really for the people on the tours.  If you want to try some of their beers without being on the tour it may be best to head over to The Milwaukee Ale House to grab a pint and some pretty awesome food. Once the tours start it gets really busy in there.  If you have an issue with loud spaces or crowds this is not the place for you.  The pours are generous here too! The first pint is close to full where subsequent pours are about half but they don't limit you. (I can imagine they would if you got all drunky drunk). I do plan on updating this after visiting the new space.

The Beers

Gin Barrel Aged O-Gii

A barreled aged version of the original, it brings some smoothness and floral flavors. I thought the gin would be overpowering but it was very mild. I learned that they blended beers from first use barrels and second use barrels to help moderate the higher alcohol heat you can get from aging in spirits barrels. I can see why it sold out in a few hours!!



Louie's Cherry Bounce

Louie's Demise being the base beer aged in bourbon barrels on top of a ton cherries brings this beer to a whole different level.  At 10.2% it doesn't drink like it!  I am not a fan of cherry but the tartness works well with the barrel and the base beer.  I really enjoyed this and can only wish to find more in the future.

Weekend @ Louie's

Another beer that uses Louie's Demise as its base beer, this light drinker has a fine taste of blueberries that compliment but don't overpower. I can see drinking this during hot summer days as it has a nice refreshing feel to it.




Final Thoughts:

I have been drinking beers from here for a while now.  They make good beers and I like the direction they are going with barrel aging and experimenting with different styles.  I can only imagine that as other breweries open up in Milwaukee and the competition gets stronger that Milwaukee Brewing will rise up to the challenge.  I can't wait for my next brewers meeting with the team!  This is the type of brewery that I am personally vested in because I like the people who work there and make the beer.  Let me know your thoughts!  Thank you for stopping by!!  If you want to see some unedited photos of our night out, check out them out here!  We made stops at Milwaukee Brewing Company, Lakefront Brewery and Stubby's Gastropub.

Comments

Popular Posts