Brewery Review: Surly Brewery

I have had the fortunate pleasure of visit all types of different breweries.  From small start-ups to established micro breweries to large macro breweries.  Each one brings with it a story worth telling, friendly welcoming faces and typically pretty tasty beers.  I personally love a brewery that is worthy of being a destination location.  While there are a ton of breweries worth visiting for their beer, beer alone does not make the beer nerd.  I want to see the brewery operations from my table while enjoying world class food and amazing beers.  Stone Brewery World Bistro and Gardens in Escondido was the first place I got to experience this and was simply floored.   I never thought I would experience this again until I went to Surly's new brewery in Minneapolis. WOW! What a place! Some may feel that it's too sterile and that it may have lost some of the individuality that made Surly, well Surly.  This place is almost always busy so if you are going to go on the weekend, get there a few minutes before they open and you should get seated right away.

The Brewery/Taproom

From the outside, it just looks like a massive commercial building with the Surly name plastered on it. There is a sculpture on the corner when you first drive in. Based on the styling of this sculpture you get a sense that their theme is industrial.  I think it lacks the charm or characteristic of their old brewery but very much lets you know what vision Omar has for his brewery.



The inside taproom looks massive!  A two story (or higher) building, it's an open concept building with the second floor exposed. The first floor has open seating, the bar and bar seating, the gift shop, access to the outdoor patio and floor to ceiling windows of the brewery.  The second floor has private rooms for special events.



The menu looks pretty amazing! I was only there for a short time because I was meeting a friend for a quick trade but was able to get a few sides and beers in before he showed up.  I had the baked beans and grits and both were very tasty!  I am hoping the next time I come here I will have a chance to enjoy a whole meal.



The Beers

One of the best things I love about most breweries is the ability try many if not all of the different beers they have on tap.  Surly had way too many on tap to try them all but I managed to find a few that would satisfy my cravings for amazing craft beers.

Third Anniversary Beer, Fourth Anniversary Beer and Pentagram



Third Anniversary beer is rebrew for the taproom.  Malty and sweet, went down pretty easy.

Fourth Annivesary beer is also a rebrew. A milk stout that was sweet with a thicker mouth feel making me think this is an imperial version.

Pentagram is an annually released sour beer typically aged in wine barrels.  It's got a nice sour note and easy drinking with slight red wine characteristics.

Todd the Axeman
Nice hoppy bitterness but very well balanced. 



Witch's Tower
Nice brown ale with nutty notes, probably one of the calmer beers I have had from them.



Final Thoughts

I am really excited about this brewery and the fact that is really has become a destination place.  The quality of the beers, the food and the service was pretty awesome.  If you get a chance, go experience it. I understand they typically have beer dinners in the upper levels that would be awesome to check out.  As breweries grow and build out larger facilities, I am hopeful to see more places like this where going to brewery is an experience that can be enjoyed with large group of friends or an intimate date.  I plan on going back next time I am in the area and will definitely get there early.  It gets packed quick and stays packed until closing.

Comments

Popular Posts