Brewery Review - City Lights Brewing Co.

The beer isn't good, don't go there! They are the old 4 Brothers Blended Beer Company and those beers were crap! These are the two things that kept me from checking out the new City Lights Brewing Company.  I have passed this place many times on my way to Third Space Brewing. The sign at the top of the silo reminding me of its presence but yet not enticing enough to make the stop. Remembering how much I didn't like the 4 Brothers beers I never wanted to give this place a chance. Well, one day I did and I learned a great lesson that day. Don't let the opinions of others sway your decision to go someplace. I know... if everyone says its bad then why even go?  We have all experienced that time when you wanted to try a place against everyone's advice and it turned to shit.... or it turned out great.  We all have different experiences and that is why I will continue to check out places most other people don't always like.


Getting there was a tad tricky. I assumed I could get there from St.Paul Ave. but you actually can't. You have to go to 25th St. to Mt. Vernon to get into their parking lot. The lot is large but I didn't see any parking lines so I just followed suit with what everyone else was doing.  The facility is rather large with what looks like the warehouse and canning area in the building on the left and the brewpub and brewing tanks on the right.

Walking in I was immediately greeted by some gentlemen at the store front counter and then by the bartender. I was there just after lunch time it was a tad slow in there, which is perfect for me to sit back and enjoy a few brews.  I found the first spot at the bar I could find and took a look at their tap list. I had seen a few of these in cans already so I skipped those and went right for the ones I figured I couldn't buy at the store. My flight consisted of Orange Wheat Ale, American Pale Ale, Coconut Porter, and Double IPA. I was a tad disappointed I didn't get a flight holder for my beers but whatcha going to do.

While taking down my beers I got a tad hungry so I ordered a brat.  It came in a pretzel bun and was only $4.00 which I thought was a damn reasonable price for a quick bite. It comes plain with a pickle and kettle chips.  They have a condiments area on the left side of the bar with all the fixing you could want.  I didn't mind the dress your own concept but if its business there I can see where this would be a pain.  While the food was good I did take issue with the brat to bun ratio.  I know, I am just nitpicking now but for some reason that was a big turnoff for me but wouldn't stop me from ordering this again.


One of the more interesting things I found here was the Hopsicles. Frozen popsicles in the flavors of Lemongrass Wheat and Coconut Porter.  I had to try the coconut porter!  These things are a tad messy because there is still alcohol in them so I think they melt a little quicker. While I thought the flavors were there, I caught some bitterness I wasn't expecting and that for me was a tad off. I would probably try the Lemongrass Wheat one next time I go in to see if I get it there too.


The one thing I always heard from everyone was how great the space was and they are not lying. The indoor space is a nice size with bar seating and table top seating available. There are TV's for watching sports and a pretty nice outdoor area with picnic tables in what I would call a rock garden of sorts.


The big question is, would I come back.  And the answer is yes I would but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so.  If I am out with friends and we are near by I would suggest we make the stop or go with friends who had never been. Should you go? Absolutely! You need to at least go and see for yourself what the experience is all about and make your own decision if you want to go back.

Cheers!! On to the next brewery. Wonder which one that will be??

Comments

Popular Posts